Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Thing #8-- RSS this!

no really! :)

I LOVE RSS AND READERS. The main reason is what the first S stands for in RSS.... SIMPLE! Find someone/something you like... and BAM! you're a part of the fan club... instant access and notification to all new postings! It's like having a daily newspaper delivered to your door that is custom tailored to your interests!... sans annoying shrink wrap. Excellent.

I have already used this technology personally for following podcasts and my friends' personal blogs, but its potential professional use is clear. As I have mentioned before, science is such a dynamic field that using RSS to keep up with findings and discoveries is an easy and efficient way to stay current in your field. Additionally, it provides an easier way of finding pertinent information to share with your students. I think this concept also applies to educators in other content areas.

For the purposes of this blog, I subscribed to a few science-related news outlets such as National Geographic and NASA as well as an science education blog. Instead of a link to a public page of my Google Reader... I added a widget to the layout of my blog that updates with the things that I choose to share. It can be found on the right column underneath my blog archive.

Sidenote: I truly love the "sharing" feature of this technology... after all... sharing is caring. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment